Monday, September 01, 2008

Art

While we were at the NC Museum of Art this weekend, Bernie overheard a kid say "I could do that."

Which got me to thinking. Why do people always say that about modern art?

[The artist we were looking at is Julie Mehretu and her work is way more detailed than it seems at a distance.]

Admitedly, I've seen some splatters on canvas and probably even some mostly blank canvases displayed. I've seen piles of junk and scribbles. I'm a fairly abstract thinker and I've definitely seen things that I don't get.

What I don't think people realize is that this is how these artists express themselves. It's how they communicate. We all have some way that we communicate who we are and what we're thinking. Artists are just crazy enough to put it on canvas and display it.

It's never as simple as it looks.

I say this, but I think everyone can create their own artwork. You don't have to be able to explain it. Part of the expression is in the doing.

The best part about abstract art is that there aren't any rules. You can do anything you want with any medium you want.

I realize that most people haven't done any kind of art since elementary school. But if you're reading this, then I encourage you to give it a try this week. Find some paint or crayons and go crazy. =)

No comments: